CBC 52 Secrets

Each week I'll use the concepts of the lesson to provide examples of employee behavior or attitude; one good, one needing improvement. The needing improvement example will be associated with "Tak" and the good example will be associated with "Tik". This will be a regular feature of our weekly blog. I invite you also to add some examples of behaviors or attitudes that might exemplify Tik and Tak that week. If you would prefer, you may submit these anonymously.

Oct 20th Week 4: Guard Your Own Self-Image

“I love you, and I accept you just the way you are.” Did you say that to yourself, out loud, at least once this past week? And I specifically said, out loud, because when we articulate an affirmation, it has much more impact when we hear it. So, SAY IT LOUD AND SAY IT PROUD!

If you did not say the sentence to yourself at least once last week, you let slip a perfect opportunity to congratulate yourself on the wonderful person you are. Even with our faults – and let’s face it, we all have them – we are each unique and worthwhile individuals. Do you recall that commercial when Sybil Shepherd says, “Loreal…because I’m worth it!” Now that’s a person with healthy self-esteem!

Self-defeating behavior often starts with defeating self-talk. When you don’t believe in yourself, it is hard for others to believe in you. Self-doubt and negativity drains those around you. I used to be a lifeguard and the hardest rescue I ever made was when the person I was trying to bring into shore kept fighting me because he was scared. Well, it’s hard to help someone stay afloat in the workplace when that person’s lack of self-worth drags themselves and everyone around them down. However, we can help to bolster someone’s ego. What might you do to help someone begin to think more positively about him/herself?

TIK & TAK
TAK LIKES TO SELF ATTACK. Tak is always focusing on his errors and things he needs to fix. Look at my hair... My nails are to long... Hey everybody I forgot to fetch the paper again; I'm so forgetful. I'M A BAD DOG! His comments about himself are continuous reminders to the other dogs. The comments always seem to focus on Tak's poor qualities. All the dogs know--Tak is a BAD DOG.

TIC IS SLICK. Tik stays focused on his abilities. He always rewards himself for small accomplishments. This builds his self esteam. When Tik makes a mistake, he doesn't focus on it. He'll recognize it-resolve it, if possible, and move on to the next task. Tic can always find something at the end of the day that he has done well. "Put another one in the basket for old Tik" he always says to himself.

No comments: